Sunday, March 7, 2021

EDUC 630 VDB Week 7: Assistive Technology

 




Discussion Board Week 7: Assistive Technology                                       EDUC 630

Roblyer & Hughes (2019) discuss considering opportunities to teach online.  I teach developmental reading to a small group of ninth-grade special education students. During remote learning this school year under the pandemic conditions of COVID-19, I had to devise a way to read a book with my students and do activities and answer questions without being able to physically put a book into their hands. Choosing a book that we had classroom copies of, I went out to Amazon and purchased the Kindle and the Audible versions of this book. All of our students have a division-issued Chromebook that they use to access our learning management system and zoom classroom links, and if necessary, each student is provided a portable hotspot for Wi-Fi. Each class meeting, I would share my screen where I was displaying the text of the reading as large as I could, and we would read along as we listened to the Audible version read to us. We would move through chapter by chapter, prereading the chapter comprehension questions, reading the chapter together, and then discussing the answers to the comprehension questions for that segment of the story. I am certain that my attempts at providing equitable access for all of my students to these resources had a positive impact on their reading fluency and comprehension, despite the pandemic climate we still find ourselves in.

References

Roblyer & Hughes (2019) Integrating educational technology into teaching. New York, NY: Pearson.


No comments:

Post a Comment